WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Here's a look at last week's top stories from around Southern Westchester County.
- One Westchester village has been named among the Top 10 most expensive suburbs surrounding a major American city per capita, according to a recent study published by Forbes.
- A Yonkers apartment fire that injured several residents and 11 firefighters was started by a second-floor resident falling asleep with a cigarette, causing his couch cushions to ignite.
- Joseph Piscopo, a beloved local pizza icon and backbone of the Mount Vernon business community, died suddenly.
- Two Greenburgh police officers were injured and sent to the hospital following a confrontation and foot chase of a suspect wanted on drug charges.
- Two teachers in the White Plains City School District have been recognized by Microsoft for their use of technology in education and named Microsoft Innovative Educator Experts.
- Ossining High School graduate Bastian Pasten, 20, who died in a motorcycle crash in Mount Pleasant on Tuesday, was mourned by 250 friends and classmates at Arcadian Shopping Center off Route 9.
- A legal filing submitted on behalf of a new Horace Greeley High School student sex-abuse accuser claims that the Chappaqua Central School District was told in 2011 about an allegation involving drama teacher Christopher Schraufnagel and a student but failed to notify police.
- A Mount Vernon man has been arrested on animal cruelty charges after several dogs were found in his care without adequate amenities for their well-being and protection.
- A 10-year-old girl was struck by a golf ball and taken to a hospital in the Bronx.
- An Irvington teenager is dead after taking a spill while hiking at a waterfall in Vermont.
- An overnight apartment fire in Yonkers trapped residents and injured seven tenants and 13 firefighters.
- Gunfire broke out three times in the span of about three hours , including an incident in which a man was hospitalized with a gunshot wound to the leg, according to News 12.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.