WESTCHESTER, N.Y. -- The following is a round-up of the top stories of the week in Westchester County.
- An off-duty New Rochelle police officer who had a blood-alcohol content nearly three times the legal limit has been charged with vehicular manslaughter following a crash that killed his passenger on Mamaroneck Avenue in White Plains early Monday morning, according to multiple reports.
- A globally known life insurer’s decision to move into a building on South Broadway is another sign that efforts to attract major players to the downtown business district are “bearing fruit,” Mayor Tom Roach said this week.
- The 13-year-old girl who was struck in the head and killed by a stray bullet in broad daylight on New Year's Eve Day in Mount Vernon has been identified as a promising basketball player.
- In a scathing statement, Democratic Assemblyman Gary Pretlow said Gov. Andrew Cuomo is using "bribery" tactics in order to pass his agenda in exchange for lawmaker pay raises, according to the New York Post.
- A Yonkers motorist stopped by a New Jersey patrol officer had nearly $300,000 wrapped in vacuum-sealed bags stashed inside an electronically controlled hidden compartment of an SUV, authorities told Daily Voice.
- Just before the Jan. 1 deadline, Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a new hotel and motel tax into law for 14 Westchester County communities.
- Most business owners just like to talk about their successes and not their failures, says White Plains’ Danilo Vicioso.
- Longtime Fox News collaborator - and Rye resident - Megyn Kelly is said to be switching sides, as she reportedly is set to vacate her anchor chair at Fox for a multi-faceted role at NBC.
- Officials at the Rye City School District warned residents to be on high alert after one parent received a threatening phone call demanding money for the safe return of their children in a ruse that was ultimately determined to be a hoax by police.
- NewYork-Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital welcomed the hospital’s first baby delivered in 2017 .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.