WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – White Plains High School will host the Lower Hudson Valley Engineering Expo on April 7, which is sponsoring an engineering contest for students to come up with a design to protect against future storm surges like the one from Hurricane Sandy.
The Middle School Expo Challenge is open to middle school students, who may form teams of 10 or fewer. Teams are encouraged to research Hurricane Sandy and the types of buildings and structures it damaged, then design a structure or building to sustain a surge of the same magnitude without damage.
Once students have a design, they have to create a document, PowerPoint presentation, video or model of the design that addresses the challenge.
There is no fee to register, and the deadline is March 8. Registration must be filled out by a teacher, mentor or parent over the age of 18 and sent to ExpoChallenge@beanengineer.org. Students who choose to create a model must take a photo and submit it with a detailed summary. Video submissions may not exceed five minutes.
Finalists will be notified by email and telephone by March 22 and will have their submissions displayed. The winner will be announced at the Lower Hudson Valley Engineering Expo.
The rubric that the judges will use to score your submission is available online and attached below.
Students should consider the following while creating their designs:
- Research the event.
- Look at the types of buildings and structures that were damaged and why. How was the area prepared prior to the hurricane? What failed and why?
- How can your idea protect from future events of this magnitude? Your idea should match the type of building, structure or area that you are researching.
- Prepare a presentation.
- Be creative.
- 1 Suspect Apprehended In $90K White Plains Auto Shop Robbery
- 2 Daughters Of Edgemont Driver Of SUV In Fatal Crash Will Be On 'Today' Show
- 3 Snow Could Be Returning To White Plains
- 4 Greenburgh Police Investigating Gun Shots Fired Near Local Residence
- 5 White Plains Man Charged In Greenburgh Shooting