WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – A White Plains man stole a woman’s purse holding a Google Nexus tablet and keyboard case at The Iron Tomato cafe on Mamaroneck Avenue, then ran toward the Galleria, police said.
A man wearing an Iron Tomato shirt and an apron ran across Mamaroneck Avenue onto Martine Avenue Sunday afternoon chasing the thief, police said. He found police officers and told them a woman’s purse had been stolen and the thief ran out of the restaurant and toward the Galleria on Martine Avenue.
Police had the witness ride in their car to look for the thief. While on Quarropas Street, the witness identified a suspect by the walkway behind the White Plains Department of Public Safety, 77 S. Lexington Ave. The suspect, Malik Ellis, 17, of White Plains, was arrested.
Ellis was charged with fifth-degree criminal possession of stolen property, a misdemeanor.
Officers found a Google Nexus tablet worth $275 in his pocket, but Ellis did not have the keyboard case, police said.
- 1 Danger Lurks At Many Westchester Intersections
- 2 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 3 Christina Ruth Buckley Silverman, 46, White Plains Resident
- 4 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 5 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust