WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – Det. Peter Martin was elevated to the highest grade level for a detective at the White Plains Department of Public Safety award ceremony Tuesday.
The ceremony was in conjunction with National Police week, during which local departments remember the sacrifices of fallen officers and recognize current officers for outstanding police work during the past year.
The police and fire departments awarded medals and certificates to officers, fire fighters and other public servants and community members. Additionally, the police department designated three officers as detectives and elevated three detectives to a higher grade level.
“It is recognition of individual tenacity, and prolonged good work,” Public Safety Commissioner David Chong said. “These men and women being designated to Detective or upgraded in their Detective status truly earned their gold shields.”
The Gold Detective shield and designation is one of the most coveted positions in law enforcement.
"It is an honor that you can not study for, it is a designation,” Chong said.
Officers Rafael Maracallo, Julio Orellana and Christina Spano were upgraded to the rank of Detective 3rd Grade. Detectives Jamie Douglas, Gilbert Lopez and Joseph Palmiotto were upgraded to Detective 2nd Grade.
Several police and community members were honored for exceptional work under extreme circumstances. For incidents where multiple officers were involved, they were recognized together. Each breast bar or certificate symbolizes that the recipient helped someone in need or performed a duty that was vital to the safety and welfare of the community.
Those honored with a Meritorious Duty Award – 2 are:
- Sergeants Roberto Dominguez and Anthony Kressevich, detectives Brian Robbins and Peter Vallely, police officers Kevin Beall, Anthony Carra, Michael Gordon, Robert Lundy, Derrick Montiero and Robert Riley
- Police officers Anthony Chiarlitti and Derrick Longo
- Police officers Andrew Black, Edward Calvano, David Cardenas and Keith Smalls
- Police officers Daniel McMahon and Robert Rodriguez
The following police and community members were honored with Lifesaving Awards:
- Sgt. Kevin Farrelly and police officers Robert Demodna, Edward Gordon and Robert Riley
- Police Officer Michael Dawon
- Police officers Hector Fuentes, Kevin Olenchak and Thomas Roviezzo
- Police officers Michael Dawson and William Nicholson
The Certificate of Appreciation was presented to the Community Advocacy & Strategic Initiatives Unit. It was accepted by:
- Sgt. Luis Muniz
The 2011 Mid-Hudson DWI Prosecution Conference Top Cop Award was presented to:
- Joseph Bucci (also awarded Commisioner’s Certificate of Excellence)
The following Fire Department personnel were honored with the Meritorious Duty Award
- Lt. Claudio Petriccione
- Firefighter Rommel Viera
- Lieutenants Ian Prauda and Brian Hickey and Firefighters Michael Ewing
- Lt. Scot Bogart and firefighters Jose Clauser and Christopher Lasher
The Unit Citation Award was presented to:
- Firefighters Robert Frank, Richard Servello and Sundan Seward
Certificates of Appreciation were presented to:
- Tom Villani and Crystal Wilson-Jackson, Con Edison liasons during Hurricane Sandy
- Jim Feeney, of Con Edison, for his work during the 2011 Halloween storm
- Dr. Louis Vizioli, health and wellness IST instructor
- Joseph Bravo, disabled persons and domestic violence IST instructor
The Commissioner’s Certificate of Excellence was presented to
- Parking Enforcement Officer Erica Casablanca
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.