WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. ‒ Police are investigating a letter containing white powder that was sent to The Journal News Friday, White Plains Public Safety Commissioner David Chong said.
An employee opened the letter a little after noon while seated in a car in the White Plains Library parking garage. The employee contacted police, who have since impounded the car.
"The vehicle is now impounded and will be taken to a safe location so the powder can be recovered and examined," Chong said. "The employees are requesting that they get decontaminated, and we are doing that."
Police blocked the garage entrance as they and a hazmat team searched the parked car.
Check back with The White Plains Daily Voice for more information as it becomes available.
- 1 18-24 Inches Of Snow Possible In White Plains; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 2 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward White Plains, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 3 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For White Plains
- 5 White Plains HS Postpones SAT Exams Because Of Inclement Weather