GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- A elderly man was killed and his wife rescued in a Hartsdale house fire that began in the early morning hours Monday morning.
Hartsdale Fire Chief Ed Rush confirmed that the man, who was identified by neighbors as John Chu, may have been cooking in the kitchen of his home at 7 Frost Lane when a fire broke out. He died after suffering burns and smoke inhalation.
Firefighters rescued Chu's wife, who was trapped in the bedroom and banged on her window alerting a neighbor, Rush said. The wife suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to Westchester Medical Center.
Firefighters from Hartsdale, Greenville, Fairview and Scarsdale extinguished fire in 10 minutes. Elmsford and Eastchester firefighters were also on hand.
"It seems like the man was cooking and something happened to start the fire," Rush said. "We have been called to the home on a couple of occasions. The gentleman was elderly."
Rush said a neighbor heard a woman banging on a window, spotted the fire and called 911 at 6:05 a.m. then notified firefighters that two people might be inside.
- 1 U.S. $1.1M Water Treatment Westchester Fine Cites White Plains
- 2 Dozens Sickened In Nine States After Salmonella Outbreak
- 3 Metro-North Trains Returns To Schedule As Grand Central Reopens
- 4 Deer Defense Group Sues Westchester County To Halt Hunting Plans
- 5 Sustainable Westchester To Develop Solar Photovoltaic Systems