WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – Four White Plains detectives were elevated to the highest grade level for a detective at the 2014 White Plains Department of Public Safety Awards Ceremony Tuesday night.
The ceremony recognizes outstanding work by law enforcement and fire personnel during the past year .
This year, Detectives Marc Avery, Patrick Kirby, Brian Robbins and Peter Vallely were all upgraded to Detective 1st Grade, the highest rank one can earn as a detective.
Detectives John DelVecchio, David Napolitani and James Tassone were all upgraded to Detective 2nd Grade.
The police and fire departments also awarded medals and certificates to officers, fire fighters and other public servants and community members. Four fire units received unit citation awards for their part in responding to the Aug. 31, 2013 fire at the YMCA that left two dead in a murder-suicide-arson .
A resident stabbed a security guard to death and then set himself on fire in his room.
Lt. James Manganello and Fire Fighters Michael Palmerini and Nicholas Perri were the first to respond using Engine 70.
“They were met with unusual circumstances, including a fire with reported explosions, trapped occupants and an apparent crime scene,” said Fire Chief Richard Lyman, adding they contained the fire to the room of origin.
Deputy Captain John Nichols and Firefighters John McGillan, Kristopher Eifler and Chris Hosei helped locate the fire , find occupants in danger and gain entry into the fire area.
“With professionalism and dedication they were able to accomplish all of these tasks and assist Engine 70 with suppression operations,” Lyman said.
Relieving Engine 70 was Engine 66 carrying Lt. Christopher DeLanoy and Firefighters Pecy Johnson and Tenin Bucai. They were faced with two rooms of fire, a partially collapsed wall, heavy smoke conditions and a reported explosion with trapped occupants. They helped find fire victims and prevented the fire from spreading to the fourth floor and to the roof area.
Lastly, Lt. Ian Prauda and Firefighters Michael Ewing and Rommel Viera did search and rescue . They ventilated the halls as they advanced allowing for rapid evacuation and successful suppression operations, Lyman said.
Other awards given include the:
Meritorious Duty Award - 2 are:
- Police Officer Michael Sheehy
- Police officers Jahmar Cunningham and Frank Madera
- Det. Rafael Maracallo
Meritorious Duty Award – 1:
- Sgt. Anthony Kressevich, detectives Timothy Byrne and Patrick Kirby
- Police Officer Edmund Kearney
- Detectives Marc Avery and John DelVecchio
- Lt. Anthony Drago
- Sgt. Edward Calvano
- Police officers Jeffrey Ramirez and Maurice Love
- Police officers Robert Rodriguez and Glen Hochman
- Sgt. Kevin Farrelly, Det. Mathew Kittlestad and Police Officer Jahmar Cunningham
- Police officers Hector Fuentes and Steven Carelli
Exceptional Merit Award
Commissioner’s Certificate of Excellence:
- Det. Kathleen Provenzano and police officers Joseph Bisesto, Joseph Guzman and Barry Rothman
- Police officers Anthony Chiarlittli and Mark Burnett
- Auxilliary Capt. Michael Bellantoni (49 years), Aux. Lt. Irene Daniels (39 years) and Aux. Police Officer Howard Cohen (28 years)
- Aux. Sgt. Jefim Piekarz and auxiliary police officers Douglas Taranow, Guy Arcuri, Sabatino Ciambriello and Vincenzon Moschetto
Unit Citation Award:
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.