WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – The White Plains Police Benevolent Association asked The Journal News to remove all current and retired police officers from its online database of pistol permit holders because it could endanger their lives, Robert Riley, president of the White Plains PBA, said Thursday.
The newspaper posted the interactive map on its website Dec. 22. It lists the names and addresses of people who have pistol permits in Westchester and Rockland counties. The names include some police officers, Riley said.
“By making these officers names and addresses public, such disturbed person seeking to commit acts of violence against an officer and/or his family will be given another tool to obtain critical information about these officer’s personal lives,” Riley said in a statement.
Janet Hasson, president and publisher of The Journal News, did not return a phone call and an email asking for comment. The newspaper has previously rejected calls for it to remove the online map.
A "suspicious envelope" sent to The Journal News offices Wednesday contained a white powder that was found to be nontoxic, police said.
Any link between the incident and the publication of the pistol permit records would just be speculation at this point, said David Chong, White Plains public safety commissioner.
Following a nationwide reaction to its publication of the pistol permit records, the newspaper hired armed security guards for its offices in White Plains and West Nyack, according to published reports.