WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- White Plains Mayor Thomas M. Roach, members of the Common Council, White Plains BID and representatives from Empire State Development and the New York Power Authority officially cut the ribbon on the Lyon Place garage on Tuesday, Sept. 23.
The garage, which was opened to the public on August 25, is at 1 Lyon Place, at the corner of Lyon and Waller Avenue, just one block off East Post Road.
The ribbon-cutting ceremony featured a variety of electric vehicles, from municipally-owned bucket trucks to Zipcars to privately owned vehicles. The New York Power Authority, Consolidated Edison and Empire Clean Cities were also on hand to disseminate information and speak about the benefits of these vehicles. Construction of the Lyon Place garage was supported by a $2 million economic development grant received by the City through Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s Regional Economic Development Council initiative. The funding was provided by Empire State Development. With a total of 619 parking spaces, 458 of which are available to the public, the new parking structure is expected to make a significant contribution to the economic vitality and growth of the Post Road Corridor. It will support the workforce, shoppers, diners, and visitors. The Lyon Place garage also has two electric vehicle charging stations, part of 10 new EV charging stations recently installed in public parking structures throughout the city. The new charging stations were supported and installed by the New York Power Authority and New York State Energy Research and Development Authority. They support Charge NY, a statewide initiative launched by Cuomo to help bring about greater use of plug-in EVs. Parking permits for the garage are now on sale and can be purchased at the Lexington- Grove East garage office (adjacent to Macy's in the Galleria). For details, call the office at 914-422-1392.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.