WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. Rides, games and food will kick off the third annual White Plains Columbus Day Festival, set for Sept. 29-30, honoring Italian heritage and contributions to the city, according to the White Plains Columbus Day Parade Committee website .
Mayor Thomas Roach is expected to proclaim October as Italian Heritage and Culture Month in White Plains at the two-day festivals opening ceremonies at noon Sept. 29. The White Plains Columbus Day Festival will again be held at White Plains High School.
This years Italian heritage theme, the 500th anniversary of the death of the explorer and cartographer Amerigo Vespucci, from whom America derives its name, is something everyone can celebrate, said Paula Pesaturo, lead festival organizer.
White Plains Columbus Day Parade Committee Inc. is a branch of Antonio Meucci Lodge No. 213, Order Sons of Italy in America. The lodge is a nonprofit organization that promotes education and study of the Italian language through its scholarship programs, which are funded in part through the festivals proceeds and sponsors.
The lodge annually presents scholarships to White Plains High School seniors, and this year will present the 2012 Miss Columbus Day Scholarship sponsored by the Generoso Pope Foundation.
The two-day Columbus Day Festival will feature jewelry, crafted goods and toys for sale, live musical performances, rides, games, and food. The following is a list of activities throughout the event.
Saturday, Sept. 29
- 12-12:15 p.m. Welcome ceremony
- 12:15 1 p.m. La Piazza di Carolina Kids
- 1 2 p.m. N.Y. Performing Arts Dancers
- 2 3 p.m. Scholarship ceremony
- 3 4 p.m. White Plains High School Marching Band
- 4 4:45 p.m. City Dance Center
- 4:45 6 p.m. DJ Kenny Dance Party
- 6 10 p.m. Don Felice Band, Italian dance favorites
- 6 10 p.m. Gene Dinpoli, tributes to Elvis and Bobby Darren
Sunday, Sept. 30
- 12 1 p.m. DJ Michael Dance Party
- 1 2 p.m. White Plains Taiko/Sakura Taiko Drummers
- 2 3 p.m. The Flynn School Irish Dancers
- 3 5 p.m. DJ Michael Dance Party
- 5 6 p.m. Raffle winner to be chosen
- 6 9 p.m. Larry Chance and the Earls
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.