WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- The City of White Plains recently donated around 10,000 shoes to charity Soles for Souls.
City residents and businesses more than doubled the collection from last year in the second annual Soles for Souls Earth Day Shoe Collection Drive, according to a press release.
"Congratulations White Plains," representatives said in a press release. "This has been a true community effort with participation from hospitals, schools, religious organizations, neighborhood associations and corporations."
Nine West donated 1,134 pairs of brand new shoes, BooRoo shoes donated hundreds of pairs of brand new boots and The North Face, under the leadership of Victor Mikell, staffed the sorting and pairing function at Ebersole Ice Rink for the second year, according to the release. Scouts and student ambassadors volunteered their time to help with the sorting process.
"A collection like ours allows Soles for Souls to accumulate shoes so that they can quickly respond to disasters here in the United States," representatives said in the release. "Shoes that are not distributed nationally, are sent to countries in which a pair of shoes can change a life. An important added benefit, just in time for Earth Day, is that the shoes are removed from the waste stream, and are truly recycled."
- 1 Bishop Cites Slain Sisters' Goodness At Funeral Mass In Harrison
- 2 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 3 White Plains Safety Commissioner Shocked By Ex-Officer's Role In Murders
- 4 State Police Warn White Plains Residents Of Phone Scam
- 5 White Plains' AMF Bowling Center Renovated, Re-opening As Bowlmor Lanes