WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- An engineering expo, a Youth Bureau open house and a free jazz concert at the White Plains Library are just some of the events planned for this weekend:
- David Meister, a celebrity designer, will show off his latest eveningwear and special occasion attire at the Westchester Mall Neiman Marcus from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Call (914) 428-2000 ext. 2248 for more information.
- The Youth Bureau is hosting an open house from noon to 4 p.m. where families can learn about more than 50 programs offered by the nonprofit. Staff will be available to help families register for summer camps. There will be refreshments, prizes, give-aways and children's activities. New York Life Insurance Company will be taking photos and fingerprints for families who want a child ID to assist law enforcement officials during emergencies.
- Families with 2 to 5-year-olds are invited to a "Truck Days" play session at the library's Trove from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- The library will administer a free SAT practice exam for teens from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Ethical Culture Society of Westchester will host a talk about how to make decisions as the end of life nears by Judith Schwarz, who counsels terminally ill patients and their families as the clinical coordinator of Compassion & Choices. The 10:30 a.m. talk will be held at the society's 7 Saxon Wood Road location. Call (914) 948-1120 for additional information.
- The YWCA of White Plains and Central Westchester is hosting a "Bringing Up Baby" expo for families who want to learn more about car seats, health care, nutrition and the developmental stages of young children. The 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. event will include a talk about raising cavity-free children, sleeping tips, good nutrition habits, immunization and other measures to protect children from disease, and more. Admission is $5 per family, however, YWCA members get in free.
- The New York State Professional Engineering Society of the Lower Hudson Valley is hosting its Engineering Expo 2012 at White Plains High School. More than 40 engineering colleges, FIRST Robotics, the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and other engineering entities will set up exhibits for middle and high schoolers. The free event will last from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and include games, prizes, giveaways and plenty of advice.
- The library's Trove will hold a "Celebrate Dr. Seuss" story, craft and snack session for families with children ages 3 and older at 2 p.m. Tickets will be given out 30 minutes before the event.
- The William Spaulding Jazz Quintet will perform in the library auditorium from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. William Spaulding, a former White Plains resident, will play "straight ahead jazz" with vocal accompaniment by Arlee Leonard, Mamiko Watanabe on the piano, Jason Arce on the tenor sax, Ariel Alejandro de la Portilla on the upright bass and McClenty Hunter on the drums.
Do you have an event you'd like to publicize? Visit our events page and add your event to our calendar.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.