WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – Westchester’s 26 semifinalists - three of which are now finalists - in the Intel Science Talent Search competition each received proclamations from county legislators at a special ceremony before its meeting on Monday.
Students submit research papers detailing an original science project or experiment they have conducted for the annual competition. The selection process takes into account letters of recommendation, essays, test scores, extracurricular activities, and high school transcripts. There are 300 semifinalists and 40 finalists chosen nationally.
The top 10 receive awards, which range from $20,000 to $100,000 for the first prize winner. They will be announced in March at a special ceremony in Washington, D.C.
The three Intel finalists from Westchester are:
- Daniel Conor McQuaid from Ossining High School
- Chris Traver from Croton-Harmon High School in Croton-on-Hudson
- Jiayi Peng from Horace Greeley High School in Chappaqua
“Year after year, Westchester high school students prove themselves as being among the nation’s best - in the classroom, in athletics and in their communities,” Kenneth Jenkins (D-Yonkers), chairman of the county Board of Legislators, said at the meeting. “There is one undeniable reason why Westchester can point to so many top science, tech, engineering and math students – the quality of our schools and the educators who are dedicated to ensuring a meaningful future for our children.”
The Intel semifinalists from Westchester are:
- Kevin Pawlak and Daniel Fulop from John Jay High School in Cross River
- Rose Lynn Arditi, Zachary Blum, Jonathan Tyler Bricker, Christopher August Di Capua and Gregory Fishberger from Byram Hills High School in Armonk
- Colette Mary McCullagh and Jeewan Naik from Pleasantville High School
- Linus Hamann and Tanvi Tiwari from Yorktown High School in Yorktown Heights
- Angela Liu from Horace Greeley High School in Chappaqua
- Simon Zheng from Somers High School in Lincolndale
- Madeleine Minke, Jamie Tanzer and Kathryn Elizabeth Evans from Scarsdale High School
- Alex Lubkin from Blind Brook High School in Rye Brook
- Joby B. Bernstein from Mamaroneck High School
- Caleb Hersh, Eitan David Rude and Sam Rude from Ossining High School
- Mark Moretto from Briarcliff High School in Briarcliff Manor
- Chloe Wang from Dobbs Ferry High School.
- 1 White Plains Office Assistant Posed As Dentist While Boss Was Away
- 2 Rye High School Graduate Found Dead In College Dorm Room, Reports Say
- 3 Red Flag Warning Issued For Westchester
- 4 Schools In Westchester Reporting High Test Opt-Out Rates
- 5 Stepinac High School Honors Alumni, Partners At Fundraiser