White Plains Resident Excited By American's Win In Boston Marathon

  • Comment
Ted and Gwen Lawrence shop at Whole Foods in Port Chester.
Ted and Gwen Lawrence shop at Whole Foods in Port Chester. Photo Credit: Brian Donnelly

WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. – With about 10,000 more runners and an American winner in Monday’s Boston Marathon, one Sound Shore resident said the event rebounded from the tragic bombing last year in true American fashion.

Ted Lawrence, a physical education teacher at Rye Country Day School, said “that’s what I want to hear,” after learning that American Meb Keflezighi won the 26.2-mile marathon with a time of 2 hours, 8 minutes 37 seconds. He is the first American to win the race since 1985 when Lisa Larsen-Weidenbach. Greg Meyer was the last American man to win in 1983.

Lawrence, of Mahopac, shopped with his wife, Gwen, at Whole Foods in Port Chester on Monday. He said he was happy that, one year after three died and 264 were injured by a bomb set off at the finish line, the marathon got even bigger this year with 36,000 runners, compared to 27,000 last year.

“That’s the American way,” he said.

Rick Yarmy, of New Rochelle, has a friend who ran his first Boston Marathon on Monday.

“He’s a sports writer for The New York Times so he was pretty excited to be in the action,” said Yarmy, director of property management for Win Properties in Rye Brook.

Yarmy said he has other friends in Boston who watched the marathon Monday, and that they felt safe going to the event.

Robert Ehoodin, of White Plains, said that one year later he still can’t get his head around the 2013 bombing, adding that he was in New York City on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001. However, he said with enthusiasm, that an American winning the Boston Marathon was good news.

Sonali Laschever, of Rye, said she went to Wellesley College, which is along the 26.2-mile marathon route and that she would cheer on the runners with her friends.

“It was a big deal,” she said.

Jorge Silva, of Rye Brook, followed the Boston Marathon as a sound board operator for Katie Couric's talk show on ABC. He said they covered the one-year anniversary activities on April 15.

"It's a national interest story," he said. 

  • Comment

Comments