UPDATE: This story has been updated with further information from the fire department regarding the cause of the fire.
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Six fire engines and a team of paramedics rushed to 9 Hillside Terrace after neighbors reported smelling smoke around 12:30 p.m. Sunday.
Firefighters climbed onto the roof of the four-unit building, hacked through the exterior of the chimney, and used a hose to douse the flames in the attic.
Public Safety Commissioner David Chong said the fire was caused by a failure in the building's heating system. "This allowed the fire to extend into the attic space," he added.
The fire was promptly put out and nobody was injured, Chong said.
"The attic is a really important because it runs above several spaces. The fire department did an outstanding job. They went right up, cut a hole, and put water in it," said Chong. "Now we're calling the building department to make sure it's stable. There was a beam running across the attic that got a little burnt."
Several neighbors, including Dianne Corsbie, 57, gathered to watch the firemen work.
"There were a lot of flames. The entire chimney was in flames," said Corsbie, a financial planner who lives across the street and rents out a unit in the building that caught fire.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.