WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – There are eight Con Edison restoration crews with 17 bucket trucks, as well as one cut and clear crew, working in the area of White Plains Thursday, the city announced.
There are approximately 843 customers still without power in White Plains as of 2:15 p.m., according to the Con Edison outage map. That is down from approximately 1,500 Thursday morning and approximately 12,000 at the height of Hurricane Sandy.
If your home has damage to the service box on the side of the house, Con Edison will not fix it and you must call an electrician before it can be hooked up to a power line.
The city emergency shelter is still open for those who need it on 65 Mitchell Place. Cots, blankets and warm food will be provided, but residents may also want to bring a battery operated radio, books and/or magazines and non-perishable items. The city also asks residents to speak to any elderly or frail neighbors about using the facility, which is open from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Friday and 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
The Community Center, housed in the same location on 65 Mitchel Place, is still serving hot lunches for seniors through its Nutrition Program. To make a reservation call 914-422-1424.
Residents can also find a hot shower at four community organizations.
The White Plains Library has returned to normal hours and will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday.
White Plains has the following safety tips for residents:
- Leave one lamp on to let you know when power has come back up.
- Use flashlights or battery-powered lanterns instead of candles as much as possible, as candles are a fire hazard.
- Turn off major appliances. An overload could happen when the power is restored if all appliances kick back on at once.
- Do not operate electrical generators indoors (this includes your garage), as it could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Only use generators in a well-ventilated area.
- Never use the stove or gas range in your kitchen to heat your home.
- Stay away from downed power lines. All power lines should be considered live.
- If you suspect a gas leak, smell gas or hear gas escaping from pipes, shut off the main gas valve and open all doors and windows to ventilate.