WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – When Steven Lombardozzi called his family and friends in Boston Monday, they told him the city was on lockdown after the bombing at the Boston Marathon .
The Mamaroneck resident, on break from jury duty in White Plains Tuesday, said that when he read about the bombing on his Google news feed he immediately called his family in Boston to confirm they were all safe, which they were. None of his family in Boston had been at the marathon, but described the atmosphere to Lombardozzi as chaotic.
“It’s a terrible thing that happened,” he said. “No one knew what was actually happening.”
The two explosives that went off near the finish line Monday sent 176 people to hospitals with injuries, 17 of them in critical condition, Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis said. Three people were killed, one of whom was an 8-year-old boy, Martin Richard of Dorchester, Mass., the Boston Globe tweeted.
There were five White Plains residents signed up for the marathon: Janis Berglas, 52; Kevin Mcpartlan, 45; Maria Luisa Molina, 33; Vernessa Poole, 41; Rene Saner, 42.
Toya Will said she didn’t understand why someone would do this.
“For me, it didn’t make any sense,” she said. “I don’t think of bombs in America, it’s a whole other thing.”
White Plains police have ramped up security at many locations in the city and are working with the Metro Transit Authority to provide extra security. The MTA also increased patrols on Metro-North trains Tuesday.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.