WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.-- County Executive Robert P. Astorino and Alisa Kesten, executive director of The Volunteer Center of United Way, joined with Uday Sukhatme, provost of Pace University, and Pace students in Pleasantville on Wednesday to write thank you notes to American soldiers and police officers.
The event was part of the formal kickoff of “9/11: Serve & Remember,” featuring more than 25 service events at area nonprofit organizations, beginning Tuesday and continuing until Sept 11.
The culmination of 9/11: Serve & Remember week is a day of activity at Kensico Dam Plaza in Valhalla, on Sept. 11, the site of Westchester’s Sept.11th memorial, “The Rising.” There, visitors can donate new and gently used soccer and baseball equipment that will be used by U.S. troops abroad; and children and adults can create sight word and math flashcards that will be donated to local schools and after-school programs. Donation booths and volunteer activities will take place from noon to 6:45 p.m.
Westchester County’s formal memorial ceremony will take place Sept. 11 at The Rising in Kensico Dam Plaza beginning at 7 p.m.
For a full list of activities, go to http://www.westchestergov.com.
- 1 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over White Plains Skies Sunday
- 2 Multi-Vehicle Accident Reported On I-95
- 3 New Boutique Residential Rental Projects In White Plains Top Week's News
- 4 Good Counsel Witnesses Another Protest Against Sale Of White Plains School
- 5 Freeze Warning Is In Effect For Parts Of Westchester County