WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – In anticipation of Hurricane Sandy Tuesday, the White Plains Daily Voice provides a reminder for its readers about how to prepare for its possible approach to the area, and phone numbers they can call in the event of an emergency.
While 911 is always available in an emergency, the White Plains Public Safety Department can be reached at 914-422-6111. Residents are also encouraged to call the city’s Department of Public Works at 914-422-1333 to report clogged catch basins or storm drains, which can cause more flooding.
The city will set up its Emergency Operating Center at the Department of Public Safety Monday.
Con Edison customers can also report downed power lines, outages and check on when their power will be restored by computer or mobile device, the company said on its website. Residents can also call 800-75-CONED (800-752-6633).
When reporting an outage, residents should have their account numbers available and report whether their neighbors have also lost power, the company said. Customers who report outages will be called by Con Edison representatives, with estimated restoration times as they become available.
Con Ed advises residents to pay attention to reports from city and municipal officials, and can rely on the company to provide updates as the storm moves closer. The company will be posting information on its website.
• Stay away from downed power lines. To report downed power lines or other hazardous conditions, call (800) 572-1131.
• For electricity emergencies and to report power interruptions, call (800) 572-1311.
• Operate emergency generators only according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Never run them indoors or in a garage. Operate only outdoors in well-ventilated areas, away from windows and doors.
• If you use electrically powered life-sustaining equipment call (800) 572-1111 to register in the critical customer program.
• Keep flashlights handy. Keep extra batteries on hand for all battery-operated equipment.
• Remember to fully charge all cell phones, iPads, iPods and other electronic equipment before the storm hits.
• Turn off major appliances to avoid overloading when power returns.
• Stay out of flooded basements under an electrician can be summoned.
Local Wi-Fi Spots
• Starbucks, 200 Main St.
• Starbucks, 125 Westchester Ave. (The Westchester Mall)
• Panera Bread, 1 North Broadway
• Atlanta Bread, 220 Main St.
• White Plains Library, 100 Martine Ave.
• Bob Hyland’s Sports Page Pub, 200 Hamilton Ave. #2
Check back regularly with The White Plains Daily Voice for updates on Hurricane Sandy.