WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. Are you looking for an excuse to get out of the house this weekend? Here's a list of events, concerts and classes happening in White Plains this weekend:
- The Music Conservatory of Westchester will host its fifth annual tango evening featuring the Tango Quartero. Marco Valentino Quartero will celebrate 11 years at the conservatory and his 80th birthday by playing the piano alongside Kathy Adorney on the violin and viola, Chris Wessman on the cello, Nancy Goodman on the flute, Clayton Heydorn on the piano and Gary Meyer on the piano and clarinet. The concert will begin at 7 p.m.
- Church Street Elementary Schools PTA is hosting a book fair fundraiser at the City Center Barnes and Noble from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday. The event will feature several story times, including a visit from author Dean Hacohen and a reading by Principal Stinchcomb. Participants are also welcome to play games and enjoy music by Church Street students and alumni.
- Teens are invited to learn about slam poetry writing and performance while eating pizza at the library from 2 to 5:30 p.m. Saturday.
- The Westchester Children's Museum will be organizing a craft project that incorporates recycled materials and found objects in conjunction with Pop-Up Adventure Play, an international nonprofit advocating for children's play. The "Come in and Play" event is open to children between the ages of two and 10. The Ethical Culture Society of Westchester will host the crafting from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday at 7 Saxon Wood Road.
- The local MoveOn chapter is hosting viewings of Inside Job, a movie about the relationship between the housing industry, Wall Street, politicians and the economic collapse. The showings are 1 p.m. Saturday in the Unitarian Church at Rosedale Avenue and 1 p.m. Sunday in Grace Church on Church Street.
- ArtsWestchester presents a mid-winter mambo dance with Mayra Casales y Cocomama Saturday. The all-women salsa band will perform while Addie Diaz of Addie-Tude Dance gives dance instructions. Entrance into the 31 Mamaroneck Ave. dance hall costs $15 or $10 for students and members. Music will begin at 7:30 p.m.
- Local farmers and vendors will set up an indoor farmers market in the county center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday.
- The library invites first through sixth-graders to meet the woodwind instrument at a concert by Music Conservatory of Westchester students from 2:30 to 3:15 p.m. Sunday.
- The YWCA White Plains and Central Westchester is hosting a Valentine's Day Carnival from 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday. The event will also feature Valentine's Day crafts, games, face painting and a bake sale. Entrance tickets cost $10, but children under 2 get in free. Proceeds will benefit the YWCA Annual Fund, which helps finance programs, building needs and scholarships.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.