WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to White Plains’ Ellen Holly!
Ellen Holly, who lives in White Plains, turns 83 on Thursday.
Holly, an actress, was born Jan. 16, 1931 in New York City.
Holly is a life member of The Actors Studio. She began her career on stage appearing in the Broadway productions of "Tiger, Tiger Burning Bright" and "A Hand Is on the Gate" before embarking on a television and film career. She guest starred on "Sam Benedict" and "The Nurses" before landing the role of actress-turned-Judge Clara "Carla" Hall on the ABC soap opera "One Life to Live," a role she played from 1968 to 1981, and again from 1983 to 1985.
Holly came to the attention of Agnes Nixon, the creator of "One Life to Live," after writing a letter to the editor of The New York Times about what it was like to be a light-skinned African-American. Nixon created the role of Carla and offered Holly a role on her new show.
- 1 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over White Plains Skies Sunday
- 2 Good Counsel Students Rally For School To Stay Open
- 3 Meryl Streep Films Movie At Rye's Numi Hair Salon
- 4 Another Frigid Winter Unlikely In White Plains, NOAA Predicts
- 5 Astorino, Jindal Team Up To Call For Ebola Airport Restrictions