Procrastination isn't just an affliction affecting students and writers on deadline. Around tax time, even the most diligent fall victim to IRS-avoidance.
Have You Filed Your Taxes Yet?
Something about April makes 27 percent of us spring into action, according to Wallet Hub's latest research.
But taxpayer beware. Normal circumstances make taxes complex enough and adding a time crunch can make matters worse, says Wallet Hub.
Here are some tips for the 27 percenters from Wallet Hub ,
- Watch for scammers: Shady tax preparers can do more than mess up your 1099 -- they can steal your identity.
- Verify you have all your paperwork: Getting organized is critical to a well prepared tax return.
- Seek free advice: If your return is simple, there are groups that offer assistance.
- Use reliable tax software: The right program guides you with questions and alerts you to missed areas.
Can't pay your taxes? Here are some tips from the IRS ,
- File on time to avoid a penalty, even if you can't pay
- Pay whatever you can
- Get a loan or use a credit card
- Use the Online Payment Agreement tool and ask the IRS for a payment plan
- Don't ignore a tax bill
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.