WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- What Christmas songs put you in a jolly, merry mood?
Two noted disc jockeys from 107.1The Peak radio station in North White Plains -- Scarsdale resident Jimmy Fink and Westport, Conn., resident Chris Herrmann -- offer some of their personal favorites.
- "I'll Be Home for Christmas": "Bing Crosby had the first recording of it in 1943. It's actually an amazing song because it was written during WW II and is really so sad. The singer, possibly a soldier fighting a war far away, says all the things he wants at home for Christmas and ends up with the kicker line. ...'I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams.' I could just cry from that."
- "Wonderful Christmastime": By Paul McCartney. "Love this one, especially the line 'so lift a glass and don't look down' ... we're all just drinking up on Christmas!"
- "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus": By John Mellencamp. "This song has great chord changes, and if you play it slow on the piano, like I do, it can be quite beautiful."
- "There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays": "Perry Como had the original in the '50s, but I like the Carpenters version ... Karen Carpenter had the perfect voice and the sentiment of the home, expressed in the title is so true."
- "Christmas Eve 2,000 Years Ago": By Don Levy. "Don was my best friend since fifth grade and passed away a couple of years ago. He was a fantastic songwriter, and this is one of his best ... He wrote it for the century change in the year 2000, and it tells the story of Christmas before all the gift giving and commerciality came that surrounds it today."
- The Killers make a Christmas song every year. This one is made with Jimmy Kimmel, and is called "Joel, The Lump of Coal. "
- The Waitresses' "Christmas Wrapping": "Maybe the finest holiday song and bass line ever."
- Bruce Springsteen's "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town": "A simply amazing live recording."
- Nat King Cole's "The Christmas Song": "Perfection."
- JD McPherson's "Twinkle (Little Christmas Lights)": "A new addition that keeps company with the best."
- The Kinks' "Father Christmas": "A great rock song for any season."
- “Christmas Wish”: By NRBQ. "One of those hidden gems that so completely captures the spirit and essence and joy of the holiday. Hearing it just puts me in the right mental spot every time."