WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- It's the day to celebrate man's best friend.
Today is National Dog Day.
Founded in 2004, National Dog Day serves to help galvanize the public to recognize the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year and acknowledges family dogs and dogs that work selflessly each day to save lives, keep us safe and bring comfort.
The day encourages those seeking new canine companions to consider choosing adoption first and if you'd like a pure-bred dog, look into a pure breed rescue group to see if it might have a dog for you.
Here are some ways to celebrate National Dog Day:
- Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organizations.
- Assist ill or elderly neighbors by walking their dog.
- Buy your dog a fun new dog toy, or two or five.
- Brush your dog to eliminate excess fur.
- Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
- Teach your dog a new trick.
- Buy your dog a fashionable collar and leash.
- Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
- Take your dog to the beach.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.