WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Memorial Day is fast approaching and with it, plans to light up the grill.
Rob Unger, a salesman at Leiberts Royal Green Appliance Center in White Plains offers the following suggestions for grilling and -- most importantly -- using the right grill.
First, consider how much entertaining you'll be doing. That will determine how big an appliance you want to purchase. Second, think about side burners. Some are integrated into the grill and work well for those who like to cook a side dish simultaneously or for those who enjoy the convenience of having a table/landing pad/staging area at the ready.
You can also opt for a free-standing side burner. "If it's moveable you have more flexibility than when it's built in," he explained.
Among the popular models:
- "Weber is basically your everyday grill," he said, with price points from $399 to $2,500.
- Lynx, a professional grade that starts at $2,000.
- Wolf grills, at $5,000 and up.
- Viking grills, also $5,000 and up.
- DCS grills, in the $4,000 range.
- Preheat your grill for a good 15 minutes before you want to cook.
- Clean your grill with a good brush before you put food on it.
- Depending on what you're cooking, adjust the temperature accordingly. "More delicate items like fish or chicken require a lower temperature," he said. Some grills have built in burner controls that will lower one section of heat and keep your food nice and moist.
- For anything taking more than 20 minutes to cook, use indirect heat. Otherwise, use direct.
Leiberts Royal Green Appliance Center is located at 228 E Post Road in White Plains. Call (888) 534-4572 for more information.