DV Home Cooking is a series devoted to readers and their recipes. All we ask is that you're a home cook, not a professional chef. Got a favorite dish you want to share? Send it, along with the story behind it, to DVHomeCooking@dailyvoice.com.
Back Story: "I made up this dish about 10 years ago. I was really craving a quiche, but was not about to make one, so I just winged it and the Soufflata was born. I have made many since and in a plethora of variations. I really could not believe that such an easy preparation produced such a beautiful and fluffy egg dish.
"I've prepared these for parties and served them room temperature. The key is using a small baking dish. I tend to use a 4.6" by 7" ceramic dish or a 4" diameter by 2.25" ramekin. I have made them a little bigger and used a 9x9 glass baking dish. You need to up all of the ingredients if you are attempting to fill a bigger receptacle. Be sure to grease it with canola or some kind of fat. It tastes lovely next to arugula that has been dressed very lightly in lemon juice, evoo, sea salt and freshly ground pepper with a chunk of crusty bread."
Recipe: Soufflata (when a frittata and a soufflé merge)
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 cup (or a little less) Milk, half n half or cream (tastes amazing with just milk)
- 2 to 3 T Goat cheese (a must)
- 1 Slice of Havarti or any other melty cheese
- 1+ T of shredded mozzarella for the top (or any melty cheese; the point is to have equal parts tangy to melty cheese)
- 1/4 tsp Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- Fresh ground pepper
- Sea salt
Possible mix ins:
- cooked broccoli
- cooked bacon
- *scallions (kind of key)
- roasted peppers
- basil (or whatever works in an omelette)
- Pre-heat toaster oven or oven to 400F.
- Beat eggs and milk thoroughly w a fork.
- Add seasonings and scallions.
- Beat some more.
- Add egg mixture to greased baking dish or ramekins.
- Pinch pieces of goat cheese and distribute like a pizza evenly.
- Add havarti, bri (sans rind or any other melty cheese.. cheddar?) evenly.
- Lay in your non-cheese fillers like broccoli, peppers etc..
- Lastly sprinkle mozzarella over the top lightly.
- Place in the 400 F oven for 20-40 minutes or until the top has puffed up and become golden. Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes. If you allow to cool completely, it may fall a little.