Raise a paw for National Pet Day on Monday, founded to highlight the importance of adoption and celebrated to give our animal buddies extra love.
What Kind of Pet Do You Have?
The motto of the holiday is “Don’t shop! Adopt!” It's sponsored by the Animal Miracle Foundation, and its goal is to help shelter animals find permanent homes.
Ways to celebrate National Pet Day, according to petdayusa.com :
- Adopt a pet from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization.
- Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to care for the animals.
- Donate blankets, food and toys to a favorite animal welfare organization.
- Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells pets from puppy or kitten mills.
- Have a National Pet Day party and celebrate all your pets
- Spend the day taking photos of your pets and then post them on the National Pet Day Facebook page .
- Assist an ill, elderly or a financially struggling neighbor or friend by purchasing pet food, hay or needed items for their pets.
- Purchase a National Pet Day Tee Shirt (or other gift item) here, to express your devotion to all animals.
- Buy your pet a fun new toy....or two...or five.
- Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.