WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- “The Girl on the Train,” “Homeland,” “The Americans,” and “Madam Secretary” were just a few hot films and television shows that chose Westchester County as a favorite spot to film during 2016, according to Westchester County Tourism & Film.
A long sought after location for its beauty, accessibility, and affordability, Westchester had a filming boom this year, which, according to County Executive Robert P. Astorino, is largely due to the area's location and the county’s film location services.
“The County is incredibly attractive to location scouts and producers because it offers so many unique locations without having to travel far,” said Astorino. “In less than a half-hour from New York City, here you’ll find beautiful parks and shorelines, historic Main Streets, suburban neighborhoods, and busy urban sites. We also offer stunning hotels that serve as great locations for shooting, and as comfortable retreats for cast and crew to stay."
The added benefit, Astorino added, is that the area's Tourism & Film team has a sophisticated understanding of the industry’s needs, and provides expert service to facilitate production in Westchester.
In 2016, the Top 10 shows filming in Westchester included:
- “The Girl On The Train” (DreamWorks Pictures/Universal): This psychological thriller owed its perfect suburban scenes to locations in Tarrytown, Irvington, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings-on-Hudson, Ardsley, and White Plains.
- The Affair” (Showtime): Scenes from this tale about the destruction of two marriages were set in Yonkers, with prison scenes filmed at Westchester County Correctional Facility.
- “Divorce” (HBO): Sarah Jessica Parker and Thomas Hayden Church untied the knot against the backgrounds of Hastings on Hudson and Saxon Woods this year.
- “Homeland” (Showtime): This hit drama often finds itself in Westchester for filming, and in 2016, the show filmed at Westchester County Correctional Facility.
- “Elementary” (CBS): This show, starring Lucy Liu, has filmed in various spots around the county, including White Plains. Scenes this year were shot in Saxon Woods and in the Pleasantville Diner.
- “The Americans” (FX): When searching for picture perfect American settings, it’s no surprise that Westchester County was the location of choice for this spy drama. This year, the show filmed at Playland and Croton Gorge Park.
- “Mr. Robot” (USA Network): This Golden Globe-winning, Emmy-nominated show put its stars in Lenoir Mansion in Hastings on Hudson.
- “Madam Secretary” (CBS): Both Kensico Dam Plaza and Tibbetts Brook Park were Westchester County backdrops in this political drama starring Tea Leoni.
- “Blind Spot” (NBC): The mystery behind this FBI drama slowly unraveled in locations around Westchester County, including Tibbetts Brook Park in Yonkers.
- “The Blacklist” (NBC): This crime drama starring James Spader is a frequent visitor to Westchester. 2016 was no exception, as the cast and crew headed to Glen Island Beach in New Rochelle for filming.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.