WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- In keeping with their mission of putting better health within reach for all, the YWCA White Plains and Central Westchester announces StepWISEnow, a balance training and fall prevention program for older adults.
A launch event for the high-quality, evidence-based program will take place on Thursday, April 7, from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m. at the YWCA, located at 515 North St.
CEO, Maria L. Imperial will welcome Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino, who will open the morning program.
During the event, a panel of experts will share their expertise on the different ways in which falls can occur and available services and treatments an elder can receive if they take a fall.
The panelists include:
- Dr. Corrado P. Marini, chief and director of the Westchester Medical Center Trauma, Surgical Critical Care, Acute Care Surgery
- Kathy V. Aronow, RN, MSN, Adult Trauma program manager at WMC
- Dr. Mario Nelson, medical director at WMC Health Physical and Rehabilitative Medicine
- Molly Roffman, PT, MA, CEEAA director at StepWISEnow Balance Training & Fall Prevention
- Ann Darcy, MS, RDN, DCDN at Westchester County Department of Senior Programs & Services.
Attendees will also see a demonstration of Tai Ji Quan, a method proven to improve balance, locomotion and mobility.
Falls are the leading cause of fatal and non-fatal injuries for those 65 years of age and over. Every 14 seconds, an older adult is seen in an emergency department for a fall-related injury. The chance of falling and of being seriously injured in a fall increases with age and is the main reason adults lose their independence.
Beginning April 11, the YWCA will offer a series of classes including Tai Ji Quan; Tai Chi for Arthritis; an 8-week session to reduce fall risks at home and exercise to increase strength and balance; and Saturday workshops.
All the classes are geared for adult children and their parents or relatives who want to learn more about fall prevention.
For more information and to RSVP for the event, contact the Fitness & Membership Manager, Angela Katz, at 914-949-6227 ext 208 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.