WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Free activities are being offered Wednesday across 16 Westchester municipalities to help keep seniors active and fit.
“Fitness is essential for seniors who want to be as healthy as possible and remain active in their communities,” County Executive Rob Astorino said. “I encourage seniors to get out and try something new, whether it’s aerobics, tap dancing or even tai chi. There are many worthwhile programs to choose from.”
The programs are free and open to county residents who are age 60 or older, but programs in some communities require seniors to register or be residents to take part.
A program specifically for Spanish-speaking seniors will be Wednesday at the Mount Vernon Senior Center in the Armory.
National Senior Health and Fitness Day takes place in May in honor of Older Americans Month. It is presented nationwide as a public/private partnership by the Mature Market Resource Center, a national information clearinghouse for older adults.
In Westchester, the programs are organized by the county Department of Senior Programs and Services and its Health and Wellness Collaborative, which is composed of 20 community organizations.
Below is a list of sessions that will be taking place. Interested seniors should call each location directly for details and registration. Locations and telephone numbers also can be found at www.westchestergov.com . 2015 National Senior Health & Fitness Day Locations by Municipality:
- Dobbs Ferry Embassy Club, 914-693-7792.
- Eastchester Senior Center at Tuckahoe Community Center, 914-337-0390.
- Greenburgh Theodore Young Community Center, 914-989-3600.
- Mamaroneck Senior Center, 914-834-8840.
- Mount Kisco Senior Nutrition Program, 914-666-8931.
- Mount Pleasant Community Center, 914-592-6441.
- Mount Vernon Armory Senior Center, 914-665-2315. Program in Spanish on health and fitness will be provided by the DSPS Coalition on Hispanic Aging.
- New Castle Parks & Recreation, 914-238-8888.
- New Rochelle Hugh A. Doyle Senor Center, 914-235-2363.
- Ossining Senior Center, 914-762-1350.
- Peekskill Senior Center, 914-734-4250 – NOTE: On Thursday, Zumba Gold exercise class, nutritionist presentation.
- Port Chester Senior Center, 914-939-4975.
- Rye YMCA, 914-967-6363.
- White Plains – Burke Rehabilitation Hospital, 914-422-1255. To register or make transportation reservations, call 914-422-1255.
- White Plains – Family YMCA, 914-949-8030.
- White Plains – YWCA of White Plains and Central Westchester, 914-949-6227, ext. 208.
- Yonkers Office for the Aging, 914-377-6826.
- Yorktown Senior Nutrition Center, 914-962-7447.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.