WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – PTA back-to-school events and high school sports, a comedy show, and the first White Plains International Food and Jazz Festival are a few of the events happening this week.
Friday, Sept. 7
PTA Back-to-School Activities: 8:45 – 9:30 a.m. The Post Road School PTA will hold a welcome back coffee at the school, 175 West Post Road. The Mamaroneck Avenue (7 Nosband Ave.) and Ridgeway (225 Ridgeway Ave.) schools will hold back-to-school picnics from 6:30 to 8 p.m.
Citizenship Class Registration: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Residents can register for the White Plains Library’s citizenship class, which is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays from September through December. The class will prepare participants to take the U.S. citizenship exam and will cover all parts of the process. White Plains Library, 100 Martine Ave.
Comedy Plains And Simple: 8 p.m. Comedian and ventriloquist Otto & George will headline this show, along with Regina Decicco, who was named lower Hudson Valley's funniest person in 2011. Jeff Olsen and Glenn Miller will also perform. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door. White Plains Performing Arts Center, 11 City Place.
Saturday, Sept. 8
Toy Time With Puzzles: 1 – 4 p.m. Puzzle Days in The Trove offers children between the ages of 2 and 5 independent, creative playtime. White Plains Library, 100 Martine Ave.
White Plains Football: 2 p.m. The White Plains High School football team will take on Harrison in an away game. 255 Union Ave., Harrison
Sunday, Sept. 9
New York Metro Reptile Show: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Thousands of pet reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates will be on display and for sale, along with books, supplies, cages, and more. This year’s show will feature over 230 vendor tables. Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for ages 7 to 12. Children under 7 get in for free. All children must be accompanied by an adult over 21, and there are no pets allowed. For more information call 845-526-4845 or visit the New York Metro Reptile Expo website. Westchester County Center, 198 Central Ave.
White Plains International Food and Jazz Festival: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. This inaugural event will include food, performances by acclaimed jazz artists, and two creative movement workshops for children. Mamaroneck Avenue between Main and Quarropas streets. The lineup includes:
- 11:20 a.m. -12:10 p.m.: Reegel Beegel, Jazz/Reggae
- 12:45 - 1:35 p.m.: Brian Carter Quartet, Traditional Jazz/Fusion
- 2 - 4 p.m.: ArtsWestchester Children's Workshop
- 2:15 - 3:15 p.m.: Westchester Jazz Orchestra, Contemporary Jazz
- 4- 5 p.m.: Bob Baldwin, Contemporary Jazz
- 1 White Plains Neighbors Of Proposed FASNY School Plan Saturday Protest
- 2 Broadway Producer's Westchester Home Hits The Market For $29.5M
- 3 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teen Girl
- 4 Man, 34, Is Charged With Driving Wrong Way On Hutch, DWI
- 5 Funeral Services Held For 20-Year-Old College Student From Westchester